How do you know if you have good spiritual health?
To determine your spiritual well-being, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I make time for relaxation in my day?
- Do I make time for meditation and/or prayer?
- Do my values guide my decisions and actions?
- Do I have a well-defined sense of purpose and meaning?
- Do I feel in harmony with the world around me?
- Am I accepting of the views of others?
Those with good spiritual health typically display hope, a positive outlook, forgiveness, self-acceptance, commitment, meaning and purpose, a sense of self-worth, clear values, and feelings of peace.
“You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.” – Eckhart Tolle
People who may need to re-evaluate their spiritual health generally experience feelings of emptiness, anxiety, loss of meaning, self-judgment, apathy, and conflicting values. They often think they need to improve themselves.
How Can You Improve Spiritual Health?
Everyone’s path to spiritual health may be different, so it’s important for everyone to explore what they believe and their own sense of meaning and purpose.
Some see benefit in meditation, prayer, affirmations, or specific spiritual practices that support their connection to a higher power or belief system. Others enjoy practicing yoga and meditation.
Supercharge Your Spiritual Health With Mindset Mantras
Join inspirational powerhouse and YA Classes teacher Youmie Jean Francois in this groundbreaking program!
With Youmie Jean Francois
5 Classes | All Levels
Many of the activities associated with wellness are key components of a healthy spiritual life.
Examples include volunteerism, social responsibility, optimism, contributing to society, connectedness with others, feeling of belonging/being part of a group, and love of self/reason to care for self.
If you’re a person actively engaged in the process of spiritual wellness, you’re willing and able to transcend yourself to question the meaning and purpose in your life and the lives of others.
In addition, you seek to find harmony between that which lies within and the social and physical forces that come from outside.
Here Are 7 Ways to Improve Your Spiritual Health:
1. Explore Your Spiritual Core
By exploring your spiritual core, you are simply asking yourself questions about the person you are and your meaning.
So ask yourself: Who am I? What is my purpose? What do I value most?
These questions will lead you down a road where you will think more in-depth about yourself and allow you to notice things about yourself that will help you achieve fulfillment.
2. Look for Deeper Meanings
Looking for deeper meanings in your life and analyzing occurring patterns will help you see that you have control over your destiny. Being aware of this can help you achieve a happy and healthy life.
3. Get It Out
Expressing what is on your mind will help you to maintain a focused mind.
After a long day or a significant event, you may feel confused and not be able to make sense of your feelings. By writing down your thoughts, you may be able to think clearer and move forward.
4. Try Yoga
Even the physical practice of yoga can help improve your spiritual health by reducing emotional and physical strains on your mind and body.
Yoga, among many more benefits, can help lower stress, boost the immune system, and lower blood pressure as well as reduce anxiety, depression, fatigue, and insomnia.
Practice Yoga With Us and Experience the Results for Yourself!
Explore the hundreds of different yoga classes and full programs we offer on YA Classes by YogiApproved. We plant a food-producing tree for every class our members complete!
Taking time for yourself to travel to a comforting place or somewhere new can do wonders for your mind.
When you are at a place where your mind can keep out distractions and help you reflect and rest, you will have a better connection with yourself. This can be as simple as going into nature if you’re not able to travel. (Bonus points for Earthing!)
6. Think Positively
Once you start viewing things in your life in a positive manner, you will find yourself thinking differently and refocusing your mind to a happy, healthy place.
When you can reframe how you think of certain things and situations, you’ll notice yourself feeling more relaxed.
7. Take Time to Meditate
While managing your time and daily tasks can be hard, it is crucial to devote time to connecting with yourself.
Whether in the morning after waking up, during your lunch break, or before you go to sleep, take five to 10 minutes to meditate each day.
Fitting mediation and relaxation into your lifestyle will free your mind and foster a stronger relationship with your spiritual wellness.
The Takeaway on Improving Spiritual Health
Those who have strong spiritual health:
- Are free of addictive habits
- Find fulfillment in self, others, work, and leisure
- Accept the limitations of humanity
- Take time to meditate, pray, or find stillness
- Know mortality to be inescapable, yet redeeming
- Investigate and interpret illness within the context of meaning
- Balance dependence and freedom
- Use health to serve others
- Balance the spiritual with the physical and emotional
Those who possess spiritual health understand:
- Illness is often a metaphor for what is out of sync in our lives
- Often illness is not an event but a process, which likely began months or years before the appearance of physical manifestations of disease
- Resentment, anger, jealousy, anxiety, and unresolved grief are the silent and relentless precursors to illness
- Social support, affirmation, and a positive outlook have a beneficial effect on the healing process
- There is a vital relationship between spirituality and health, well-being, and susceptibility to disease
- The key element to the healing process often lies within oneself
In the wise words of Eckhart Tolle, “You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.”